VIDEO | Getting outta debt, advice from a millionaire
Babes! I'm in a little bit of trouble and I'm airing all my dirty (debt) laundry so I can help myself get clean and climb up the money tree to financial health and happiness! Since I shared my lack of money situation I've had such a huge response from you honey's and I feel driven to help you, while I help myself!
First stop a chat with my Babe and self made millionaire, @sunnivaholt.
So it's time to own up to your money situation. I've saved and edited the little live Instagram chat we had and below I've jotted down the video notes for you, me - US! We're in this together Babe!
9 Simple Tips To Becoming Debt Free
- Get really clear where you are, stop hiding from your money/debt. DO NOT IGNORE WHAT'S GOING ON. How much debt are you in? What exactly is your money situation?
- Consolidate your debt onto one no interest or low interest credit card. Then cut up your credit cards.
- Create a budget and start tracking your money. Everyday in a spreadsheet write out what money is coming in and out. OR you could go over your bank/credit statements from the last month and review where your money is going. Become clear what you're spending your money on, what's necessary and unnecessary?
- Live within your means. Become clear where the fritter is, those unnecessary things you're spending on. These don't have a place in your budget when you're trying to get out of debt honey.
- Save at least 10% of your income! As soon as your pay comes in, have an automatic payment into your account to pay off your debt. To ensure your saving stays on track create your weekly budget from this new balance.
- In your budget outline your non-negotiables. Rent, food, bills. Allow for play money, to find this figure out what brings you the most amount of joy. Let these be special events rather than those things that have just become habits/routines. DO NOT SET A BUDGET SO LOW IT IS PAINFUL. Set it where you can comfortably live and live within that, do not go over.
- Review your budget/money every week.
- Think also about how you can expand. How can you expand your income and Iive within your means so you are in an abundance state.
- Food, it's really easy to overspend on food! Give yourself a decent amount but be clear on your food budget and stick to it. Look at your options, go to the local food markets! I love the Grey Lynn Farmers Market, I get a huge amount of spray free veges for the week for around $34. Frozen veges, rice and oats are also awesome and cheap.
So there you go Babes, just like that we'll be debt free in no time! Who's with me? On another note I'm a little embarrassed to say it but I've had that "Money, money, money, money. Money." tune in my head all day and I've just realised it's the theme song from the TV Reality show, The Apprentice, you know the one Trump did, if you're too young or need reminding you can hear it here.
Coming up Sunniva and I will talk about saving (including saving on a low income), money mindset, how to get into property, rentals, starting your own business and more. If you have any questions around our money chats please comment below and we'll add them to our list! Who knew talking about money could be so fun! When I get the details of Sunniva's Money Mindset event I'll share that too!
(financial) Health + Happiness - always!