Clustered salted caramel granola
Gluten + Refined Sugar + Dairy Free | Plant Based
I'm a big fan of granola + I'm an even bigger fan of caramel so I've decided to combine the two! Perfect for a crunch addition to your latest smoothie bowl or ideal for a berry, granola + coconut yoghurt mixture.
3 cups rolled oats, gluten-free if you’d like
1 cup buckwheat
1 ½ cups coconut flakes
1 cup nuts/seeds of your choice, I used a mix of hazel nuts, cashews, almonds + sunflower seeds.
¼ cup chia seeds
½ tsp sea salt, my fav is Maldon salt
1/3 cup rice malt syrup or pure maple syrup
1/2 cup dates, soaked for 15 mins or so in boiling water
1/2 cup dates, chopped (not soaked)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup cacao butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract, I like Heilala Vanilla
1/4 cup water
Optional, ¼ cup / 35g coconut sugar, if you like it on the sweeter side
Grain Free? |
This can totally be made grain free, it just won't be as clustered. Simply swap out the 3 cups of oats + 1 cup of buckwheat + make it a total of 5 cups of your fav nuts/seeds. I do recommend though adding the sesame seeds in after cooking as I've found they can sometimes burn.
Preheat oven to 175°C / 350°F
In a large bowl combine oats, buckwheat, chia seeds + (optional) coconut sugar. Roughly chop nuts + add them to the mix.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt Pams cacao butter + coconut oil.
- While this is melting, pop the dates + water in a blender until smooth then add to the saucepan along with the rice malt/maple syrup, vanilla + salt. Whisk mixture until smooth.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry + fold together until they’re evenly coated.
- Spread mixture out in an even layer on a baking tray (baking paper optional, I didn’t use any). Then take a bag, I use a plastic bag from my lettuce and press down so that the mixture is compact.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, flip/break up granola into large chunks + place back in oven to bake for another 10 minutes, maybe less or more. You want it golden, it will harden as it cools.
- Once cool, sprinkle the sesame seeds, chopped dates + coconut flakes over the granola.
- Save in a jar, although I’m sure it won’t last long.
If you have an questions or comments, pop them below - I’d love to hear form you. AL XO