Almond meal & orange Christmas cake
This year I wanna bring something gluten free to the Christmas table so I set out to create a fruit cake made with almond meal and it turned out absolutely delicious!! It’d actually make the perfect gift for a kindy teachers morning tea but we couldn’t help but try it first.
700 g mixed dried fruit, I used raisins and sultanas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract or paste
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
zest and juice from 1 orange, juice from a second orange (for after the cake has cooked)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
5 organic eggs
2.5 cups ground almonds
50 g walnuts
HOW TO |
1. Soak your dried fruit, pop the fruit in a bowl and cover in boiling water for 15-30mins then drain.
2. Preheat your oven to 170°C on bake.
3. Prepare a 20 cm round cake tin with baking paper lining the sides and the base.
4. Combine dried fruit (make sure it’s well drained), cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, orange zest and juice, olive oil, eggs, soft butter, almond meal and walnuts in a bowl and mix well.
5. Spoon Christmas Cake batter into your baking tin. Smooth out the top using the back of a spoon and make sure there isn’t any gaps, you want the mixture packed in well.
6. Bake for an hour. Check with a skewer to see if it comes out clean, if not bake for another 15 minutes and check again.
7. Once cooked through, remove from oven, and poke small holes on the cake, pour the juice of the second orange over the top and leave to soak though the cake.
8. Leave to cool, then remove from the tin, sprinkle with roasted slithered almonds and top with candied of dried orange.
To serve add whipped cream or coconut yoghurt. YUM!