Crispy Tofu Salad
A couple of weeks ago I caught up with Deb, Countdown’s Dietitian who works with the team to understand current food trends and make healthy eating more accessible and affordable. We put together this delicious salad using their Macro Organic Tofu - we even made a little cooking show video (you can check it out here).
They’ve had a big demand from us, their shoppers, for meat alternatives! Yay for plants! This recipe is super easy, won’t blow the budget and leftovers would be perfect for lunch the next day! So they’ve recently added a whole lot of vegetarian options to Price Lockdown, you can pick up Macro Organic Tofu for just $4.90.
I also make a batch of the pesto in this recipe once a week (it keeps in the fridge) and use it to top veges, eggs or salads. Enjoy!
1 packet Macro organic firm tofu
½ small red onion
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup corn starch
¼ cup cashews
1 cup Macro organic quinoa
2 cups water, for cooking quinoa
Salad leaves of your choice, we used baby kale and rocket
2-3 large handfuls of coriander
1 handful of parsley
2 medium garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
Salt & pepper, to season
Coconut oil, for frying
How To |
1. Soak quinoa overnight, or from morning to night if possible.
2. Rinse quinoa put into a pot and cover with water, bring to the boil, pop the on lid and simmer for 15 mins.
3. Slice tofu into 1cm by 1cm logs. To remove excess liquid, put tofu on a plate between paper towels; place a heavy chopping board on top large to weigh it down; let stand 10 minutes.
4. Soak red onion in red wine vinegar.
5. To make the pesto put coriander, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil into a blender and mix until smooth, this will keep for a week in an air tight jar in the fridge.
6. Dip tofu on all sides with corn starch. In a frying pan, heat coconut oil on medium-high until hot. Carefully add tofu. Cook until golden brown on each side. If needed drain the tofu on paper towels.
7. Once the quinoa is cooked, let it cool before mixing in the cucumber, baby tomatoes and soaked red onion.
8. To plate up, place salad greens as your base, then you’re quinoa salad and top with crispy tofu, add avocado, a sprinkle cashews and top with lemon herb pesto.